Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Yes, I'm talking politics

We are at such a pivotal turning point in our nation. I used to back away from politics because I didn’t think I knew enough to have an opinion…and maybe I still don’t. But I am an American citizen and I have never felt proud to say so (truth bomb).

The North Carolina primaries are weeks away (and even sooner with early voting) and I will be voting for Bernie Sanders. I voted for him in the New Hampshire primaries in 2016 and have seen him speak twice in person. People back then thought I was radical (many still do) and consequently thought I was crazy for even considering him as future president of our “great nation”. Now, just four years later, I am getting ready to vote for him again right here in Asheville. However this time around he is a front-running candidate.

So why Bernie? My obvious wet dreams aside, the man has an extremely consistent track record. Since the 1960’s he has fought for the rights of the underprivileged in society. He fought for civil rights. As mayor of Burlington, Vermont he passed rent control and created affordable housing options as the city changed. He is saying the same thing now that he has been saying for the past 50 plus years (and much of it is well documented). He knows politics from the inside. He understands the corruption and has the backbone to speak up about it. He is courageous and he oozes integrity. The public figures who stand behind him I find are just as brave and consistent. They are smart, well-rounded, and a bit radical…but have proven themselves (think Dr. Cornel West, AOC, Nina Turner, Micael Moore, and, my personal favorites, Ben and Jerry). This man is the real deal. It is no longer radical to think that we could have a nation that actually cares about every single citizen, regardless of their economic standing, race, religion, or sex.

I know many people believe it is a stretch to imagine Bernie winning the nomination. I understand that. I am asking you, however, not to make voting decisions fueled by fear. The most “moderate left” candidate will not beat Trump. We all desire change and revolution in America, except for the ones at the top benefiting. No one else is offering the level of passion and progress that Bernie offers. He can beat Trump if the young voters show up! Remember when no one believed that Trump could win? We were all blindsided and now we can use the same tactic to beat him in 2020.

I believe that, even if Bernie does not win the presidency, a wave has formed that cannot and will not be stopped. People are fed up. They are tired of working their asses off, paying ridiculous amounts for healthcare , childcare, housing, and the basic necessities of life, just to “get by”. No more! It is time. Speak up, get up, and please…get out and vote!!


** Disclaimer: no matter who you vote for I still love you. Maybe ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment